Wednesday 7 September 2011

Doing the accounts

I've been doing my accounts. Forgive me for being mental, but I actually enjoy it. I feel like I'm getting something done, taking control of my life. I've been budgeting for the year ahead, and I've realised that I don't have to give things up in order to be comfortable with my finances. Here are a number of tips:

-Get a job. Too many students dismiss it. It doesn't even have to be hard. Apply for every bit of zero-hour and part-time work you can. When something turns up, you'll be grateful for it. An extra £50-100 a week can make a significant impact on your finances.
-Write lists. Think of all the things you want or need, money no object. Then prioritise them. Then, when you feel compulsed to go shopping, get the items at the top of the list. That way, you avoid making impulse buys you'll regret later.
-Be aware of when payments come in and when they go out. It's no good thinking you'll be alright at the end of the month if your pay comes in on the 21st but your rent goes out on the 18th. I certainly made that mistake with my mobile phone contract. Money that goes out next week is money you don't have.

If anyone has any other tips they'd like to share, comment, or email sachtastic@aol.com

No comments:

Post a Comment